Instructions on Filling Out Permit
to Serve Alcoholic Beverages on Campus Form

This UA Alcohol Permit Application must be submitted for all events where alcoholic beverages will be served on University of Arizona property. Please complete all blanks unless otherwise instructed. If section does not apply, please indicate N/A. Failure to provide all required information, or complete the form properly and legibly, may result in delay or rejection of this application. NOTE: This form is not required for off-campus events in private homes, restaurants, or establishments with liquor licenses.

Arizona Catering and Events Co. is the sole approved vendor and supplier for alcohol services at all University locations, and events paid utilizing UA Foundation funds, and will have the first right of refusal to provide services for the event.

Application Date: Indicate the date you are filling out the form. The form must be emailed to, 10 business days prior to the event.


Please submit either a check or cash.

Click on the topics to display the content.

  1. Applicant Information:
    1. Name of University College or Department Hosting Event: Fill in the name of the college or department. This must be a UA department or college, e.g., the College of Fine Arts, the Athletics Department, etc. There must be a University department/unit hosting the event in order for alcohol to be served.
      1. College/Department Applicant: Clearly print the name of the individual applying for the permit. This must be a College or Department Dean or Director. The applicant must have the authority to make such application on behalf of the University, College or Department. Include the applicant's phone and fax numbers. An original signature of the applicant is required
      2. Responsible UA Employee in Attendance at Event: A responsible adult from the hosting department must be in attendance at the entire event. This doesn't necessarily have to be the same person as the applicant. Contact information is required.
      3. Purpose Related to University Mission: According the UA guidelines, "The event must serve a University purpose," if alcohol will be served. Indicate how the event is related to the mission of the University. Some examples might be fundraising, donor relations, advisory board meeting, visiting scholar lecture/reception, community outreach event.
    2. Name of Third-Party Sponsor Organization co-Hosting Event (if any):

      This is where you will fill in the name of any outside organization/entity co-hosting the event, e.g. Raytheon, Bank of America, etc. (Do not use this space for the name of University applicant.) An authorized representative of the Third-Party co-host must sign the form, binding the Third-Party to each of the provisions of the Permit, including the indemnification provisions of Paragraph 11 and the University's Alcohol Policy. Include the third-party sponsor's address and phone, and explain its affiliation with the University. Do not fax the forms to/from the Third-Party co-host. Have the original form filled out, signed and returned to you for completion.

      1. Indemnification by Third-Party Sponsor organization: This section explains the indemnification responsibilities that Third-Party Sponsors must agree to provide.

    ▲ TOP

  2. Alcohol Information:
    1. Check all of the following that apply to the event:
    2. There are five questions under #2A.

      If you check any item(s) "Yes", service will be limited to two drinks per person under the Public Facilities Exemption; unless a Special Event Liquor License is obtained from the Arizona Department of Liquor (requires special permission from the University President). These rules are for compliance with the State Liquor law prohibitions on the sale of alcohol and related Arizona Department of Liquor regulations.

    3. Will the college organization apply for a Special Event Liquor License?

      Check yes or no. Be advised that obtaining a Special Event Liquor License requires special permission from the University President, and then applying for the license through the City of Tucson and the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control. It is an involved process and not all organizations will qualify. Most University organizations choose to comply with the rules set forth in the UA application for a permit to serve alcohol rather than applying for a Special Event Liquor License. Alcohol may be served without a license at events on campus where there is no sale.

    4. Type of Alcohol to be served?

      Check all that apply: beer, wine, and/ or hard liquor. UA prohibits the service of spirituous liquor such as whiskey, gin, rum. Special permission is needed in order to serve spirituous liquors in addition to a Special Event Liquor License.

    5. Please check what applies
    6. Please check what applies
    7. Name of approved bartender or alcohol service contractor:

      Arizona Catering Company is the sole supplier for alcohol services at licensed University locations, except for Athletic venues and concessions, and will have the first right of refusal to provide services for the event.

    ▲ TOP

  3. Event Information:
    1. Event Name and Date:

      The name - XYZ Reception - and the date the event will be held.

    2. Event Description & Attendance:

      Describe the event such as Reception, Dinner, Awards Ceremony. If several phases of the event take place such as an Awards Dinner with reception please indicate. Provide the number of people you expect to attend.

    3. Exact location:

      The name of the room, hall and building or area where the event will be held. For example McClelland Atrium, Room 203 of McClelland Hall. If in any area outside on University grounds provide a general location using existing landmarks. Time: The beginning and ending time of the event. Do not include set up or breakdown time. This time is when the event officially begins and ends.

    4. Describe all public exits/entrances for event location.
    5. Alcohol Service Time:

      Provide the times at which alcohol will be served within the start and end time of the entire event as indicated above. If service occurs during the entire event indicate the same time as above.

    6. List all persons and entities that will receive the gross proceeds from the event:

      Gross proceeds include all monies collected from admission fees, and the sale of food and beverages.

    7. Will the majority of attendees be University employees?

      Check yes or no. Consideration should be given to the hours an event is being held where alcohol is being served if the majority of attendees will be University employees not during work hours. Generally, the majority of persons at events with alcohol should be non-University attendees.

    8. Name of the person or entity donating alcohol for the event, if any:

      This may be an individual or group.

      PLEASE NOTE: No University funds may be used to purchase alcohol and no donations of liquor may be received from a liquor wholesaler without a Special Event License.

    ▲ TOP

  4. Food Information:
  5. PLEASE NOTE: Alcohol cannot be the main focus of the event. The presence of alcohol requires the accompaniment of food as outlined by the UA catering policy.

    1. University approved food/beverage caterer will be:

      Under the University Catering Policy, events with food costs of $750 or more must use Student Union Dining Services. Departments at AHSC have the option of using the UMC food service. Events costing less than $750 have the option of using a University approved outside caterer. A list of approved outside caterers can be found at: Applicant must provide name of UA approved caterer and initial having read and agreeing to the University Catering Policy.

    2. Approximate cost per person for this event

    ▲ TOP

  6. Security Information:
    1. Will any attendees be under the age of 21?

      Check yes or no. If the answer is yes, you should provide an explanation on how those under aged people will be prevented from loitering in and around the area in which the alcohol is being served. For example, the bartending service will place soft barricades or post signs, and the bartending service will take steps to determine the ages of persons requesting alcohol.

    2. Boundaries, fencing, barriers and staff to control liquor consumption:

      In order to serve alcohol at events on campus, there must be defined boundaries to the areas where individuals may consume alcohol. Be clear in describing the boundaries, e.g. "limited to McClelland atrium." Also include any steps that will be taken to control attendees from leaving the area with alcohol such as security staff etc. If a two drink maximum is in effect, then you must outline how the two drink maximum will be monitored such as drink tickets etc.

    3. Answer as it applies to your location
    4. Answer as it applies to your location
    5. Will there be security?

      Check yes or no. If yes, indicate who is providing security. Remember that staff may serve this function to a limited extent. The hiring of outside security, other than UAPD employees, (police aides or police officers) must meet current UA Purchasing and Contracting guidelines. UAPD will review this closely to determine any conflicts or make recommendations pending prior approval by UA Campus Life.

    ▲ TOP

  7. Submit Application:
  8. When completed, send Alcohol Permit Application to:

    Room 348 SUMC
    P.O. Box 210017
    Tucson, Arizona, 85721-0017

    Phone: 520-621-9463

    PLEASE NOTE: Application fee of $15 must be submitted with this application to begin processing. The application fee is non-refundable and payment of fee does not guarantee approval of alcohol permit.

    1. Initial Review:

      The completed original form with all required information must be forwarded to the Event Services Office for initial review. This review will be conducted by a designated person in the Event planning Office located in the Student Union Memorial Center. Forwarding of the application may be accomplished via campus mail, US Mail or in person. NO faxes will be accepted.

      If the application does not meet certain administrative requirements or if information is left out the form may be returned to the applicant and require re-submittal once all corrections or information has been provided.

      When the review is completed by the Event Services Office and the application meets alcohol policy administrative requirements, it will be forwarded by the Event Services Office to UAPD for review by the Office of the Chief of Police.

    2. UAPD Review:

      When received from the Event Services Office, the Chief of Police or designee will review the application and make recommendations if needed. This review is done in order to maximize safety of the event and review compliance with any Arizona State Liquor laws that may be applicable. UAPD may send the application back to the Event Services Office for further action regarding recommendations made. The Event Services Office may deny the event pending compliance with any UAPD recommendations.

    3. Final Approval by President's Designee:

      Final approval of the event will be indicated here and the applicant notified. If approval is made with additional recommendations, such approval is made after applicant has agreed to implement any recommendations made by Campus Life and/or UAPD.

      If event is denied a reason will be provided. Applicant may inquire why event was denied and inquire if additional actions on applicant's part can be taken in order for the event to be approved.

      A copy of the APPROVED permit must be posted on-site of the event where the alcohol is being served at all times.

    ▲ TOP